[Ocfs2-users] esx elevator=noop

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 09:55:14 PST 2010

http://lonesysadmin.net/2008/02/21/elevatornoop/

I ran across this recently which describes, when operating in a virtual
environment with shared storage, how to try and let the storage and
hypervisor deal with arranging disk write operations in a more globally
optimal way rather than having all the guests try to do it and muck it
up.

However, this is contrary to ocfs2 recommendation of using the deadline
elevator.

I'm just wondering if you have any comments one way or the other?

My concern would be that while noop might make things globally optimal
it would still allow starvation in a single guest which might lead to
ocfs2 fencing.

Thanks,
Brian