[Ocfs2-users] Strange mounting problem

Norman P. B. Joseph joseph at ctc.com
Thu Feb 4 07:49:03 PST 2010

Following up on my own post, for the benefit of those searching the
archives, the solution in this case involved wiping out enough of the
partition table on the device before re-partitioning and re-making the
ocfs2 filesystems on these luns.

They had originally been formatted via ocfs2console using the entire
device (/dev/sdb) without partitioning.  We then realized we needed a
partition table and created a single partition, re-making the ocfs2
filesystem on it.  But looking for device labels with 'findfs' always
showed two devices with the same label (/dev/sdb & /dev/sdb1).  That was
apparently enough to hose mounting by label.

The original advice I got was to wipe out the 1st 1KB of the device
using something like "dd if=dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1024 count=1" before
re-partitioning/re-mkfs'ing, but apparently that did not erase enough of
the old partitioning information.  Upping the count to 512 (probably
overkill) did the trick.

Sorry if any of this is painfully obvious to any of you.

-Norm

--
Norman Joseph, Senior System Engineer              joseph at ctc.com        IC|XC
Concurrent Technologies Corporation                 814.269.2633         --+--

This message and any files transmitted within are intended
solely for the addressee or its representative and may
contain company sensitive information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and delete
this message.  Publication, reproduction, forwarding, or
content disclosure is prohibited without the consent of the
original sender and may be unlawful.

Concurrent Technologies Corporation and its Affiliates.
www.ctc.com  1-800-282-4392