[Ocfs2-users] Best Linux distribution for OCFS2?

Sérgio Surkamp sergio at gruposinternet.com.br
Thu Apr 15 14:54:33 PDT 2010

Watch out for SLES11 as it needs extra package license to use OCFS2.
http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/suse-linux-enterprise-server-sles/sles-configure-administer/366627-sles-11-ocfs2.html

What about CentOS with stock Oracle OCFS2 packages?

Regards,
Sérgio

Em Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:34:52 -0700
"Patrick J. LoPresti" <lopresti at gmail.com> escreveu:

> OK, I realize this is a loaded question, but I really am interested in
> some feedback.
>
> I am preparing to create a new OCFS2 cluster -- several of them,
> actually -- and I have the luxury of choosing my Linux distribution.
> I am agnostic on this, save for a slight bias against Fedora Core
> (and, by implication, Red Hat) due to some bad experiences a few years
> ago.
>
> My current short list of options reads:
>
>   Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
>   Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11
>   OpenSuse 11.2 or 11.3
>
> Although I have my choice of distributions now, and I have a couple of
> months to prototype, once the choice is made I will be stuck
> supporting the configuration for years; hardware and O/S changes will
> be costly.  So I want to get this right.
>
> I have been reading this mailing list for a while, and it sounds like
> OCFS2 has had some fairly serious bugs fixed just in the last few
> weeks and months (e.g., ENOSPC when there is plenty of space).  Which
> distribution, if any, has incorporated these fixes?  Which would be
> most likely to provide such fixes in the future?  I am also curious to
> hear success stories, failure stories, advocacy, warnings...  Feel
> free to reply to me personally if you do not want to spam the list,
> and I will post a summary.
>
> Possibly relevant other technologies I intend to use:
>
>   iSCSI over 10GigE
>   Linux md software RAID-0 (my iSCSI hardware RAID units already
> provide redundancy)
>
> My configuration will be storing 100+ terabytes on a single partition.
>  (Sounds crazy, perhaps?  My application is a little... special.)
>
> Thanks!
>
>  - Pat

  .:''''':.
.:'        `     Sérgio Surkamp | Gerente de Rede
::    ........   sergio at gruposinternet.com.br
  `:,   ,.:'     *Grupos Internet S.A.*
    `: :'        R. Lauro Linhares, 2123 Torre B - Sala 201
     : :         Trindade - Florianópolis - SC
     :.'
     ::          +55 48 3234-4109
     :
     '           http://www.gruposinternet.com.br