[Ocfs2-users] memory leak

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Thu Apr 15 12:21:26 PDT 2010

Joel Becker wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:31:02PM +0200, Kristiansen Morten wrote:
>> I discovered our four node cluster running on RedHat EL5, Ocfs2 1.2.6 and Oracle 10.2.0.3 have memory leak. I suspect ocfs2, but I could be wrong. I suspect ocfs2 because when we run RMAN backup the free memory goes from 8 GB down to 200 MB. When I umount the ocfs2 backupdisk after the backup is finished, the memory is released again.
>
> 	You don't have a memory leak.  Your backup is reading every file
> into cache in order to process it.  This is a normal behavior of
> filesystem cache.  If other processes need memory, the file data will be
> evicted from cache.

1.2.6 is about three years old. I would recommend you upgrade to
atleast 1.2.9.

Looking at the release logs, I do see a similar issue fixed in 1.2.7.
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/news/article_16.html

But I doubt you are hitting that issue as a leak in the kernel can only
be reclaimed by a reboot.