[Ocfs2-users] Ftp server... single file seems locked

David Johle djohle at industrialinfo.com
Fri Apr 2 12:12:06 PDT 2010

FWIW, I have seen a similar problem here on occasion, but with vsftpd instead.

When I run `ps -e -o pid,stat,comm,wchan=WIDE-WCHAN-COLUMN` I usually
see one node with a single vsftpd in D (uninterruptable I/O) state,
and multiple vsftpd processes on the other node, presumably waiting
for the resource.

I also believe this when multiple processes are trying to read &
write the same file via FTP.  And if left alone for a bit, other
programs that may read the same file will get hung waiting as
well.  Mine are typically not busy waits though, but I have seen a
couple that were.

Sometimes I will find that all is cleared and back to normal after a
short while (a timeout somewhere perhaps?).  Usually the only
solution is to reboot one or both nodes, which I have to instigate
via kernel panic/self fence because a normal shutdown also gets
caught up by the non-killable processes.

I need to get a netconsole set up to capture some stuff for the next
time so that I can add it to the bugzilla as well.