[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 1.4 Problem on SuSE

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 08:50:53 PDT 2009

Angelo McComis <angelo at mccomis.com> 2009-09-29 11:19:
> I'm sorry -- it's lvm2, and yes. :-)
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Charlie Sharkey
> <charlie.sharkey at bustech.com> wrote:
> >
> > It was mentioned:
> >
> >    - Checked our lvm configuration - seems to be good as well.
> >
> > Is lvm supported by ocfs2 ?

I didn't think this part was true.  The issue being that all nodes need
to be aware of possible metadata changes to the volume group and logical
volumes.

clvm (which I believe is supported by Novell) can handle that locking
between nodes so that they have a consistent view of the metadata, but
last I checked it used a different cluster stack that wasn't quite
supported by ocfs2 yet and running both sided by side would run into
some fencing issues.

Alternatively I think you can (read unsupported, but does work) do
simple LVM configurations like linear spans since they don't have any
striping metadata information that needs to be updated.  The trick is
that you need to take everything offline when you want to make any
changes to the volume group or logical volume.

Brian