[Ocfs2-users] Ocfs2-users Digest, Vol 69, Issue 21

David Johle djohle at industrialinfo.com
Mon Sep 28 13:24:13 PDT 2009

At 01:31 PM 9/23/2009, ocfs2-users-request at oracle.com wrote:
>Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:27:15 +0200
>From: Marc Grimme <grimme at atix.de>
>Subject: Re: [Ocfs2-users] CDSL .vs. Bind mounts?
>To: ocfs2-users at oss.oracle.com
>
>As we are making shareing the "/"-Filesystem among multiple nodes we
>are using
>CDSL as part of the concept.
>What we do is we create
><mount-point>/cluster/<nodeid>
><mount-point>/cdsl.local -> /cluster/nodeid (via bind mount)
>
>Then say you would like to make /opt/application/file1 hostdependent do the
>following
>mkdir -p /cluster/cdsl/[1-n]/$(dirname /opt/application/file)
>cp -a
><mount-point>/opt/application/file /cluster/cdsl/[1-n]/$(dirname
>/opt/application/file)
>ln -s <mount-point>/opt/application/file
><mount-point>/cdsl.local/opt/application/file
>
>That's it and it works pretty well.
>Hope this helps.
>This concept keeps all file that are hostdep and reshared
>in /cluster/cdsl/.. .
>Regards
>Marc.

So I only need one bind mount on each node no matter how many files
and/or directories are host specific.
And can use this approach for single files as well as whole directories.
And any node can still access another node's copy if necessary since
they are all still on the shared volume.

I like that approach, it's very clean and still retains all the
"benefits" of CDSLs.  Nice!