[Ocfs2-users] degrading performance

will whansard at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 19 21:41:52 PDT 2009

I've been playing with ocfs2 in local mode, and was really suprised
how fast it was.  I was playing with extracting a linux distribution
on my hardrive that was tar gzipped (GZIP=-1) and extracting it onto
a different hard drive.
This was with kernel 2.6.28.
ocfs2-5m6s
reiser4-4m19s
reiser3-6m38
jfs-8m18s
ext2-4m7s
ext3-7m18s
xfs-6m29s
ext4m55s

I noticed the delete times were very slow with ocfs2, like xfs is if
you don't add the extra buffers at mount time.  Also when I deleted
all the files on the ocfs2 partition, I don't get all the space back.
Like maybe a little more than a gig is showing used, but no files.
but here's the weird part.  I only got the good speed with ocfs2 on
the first write.  If I deleted all the files on that partition, then
extracted the tar file again, the time went up to 8 minutes.  I deleted
them all again, then unmounted and fsck'ed the partition, then mounted
and extracted the tarfile for the third time, and it took 19 minutes.
hope this may help a little.