[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 vs Oracle ASM CFS

Jeremy Schneider jeremy.schneider at ardentperf.com
Thu Sep 3 05:21:55 PDT 2009

Some quick questions for the ocfs2-users list, now that 11.2 is public.
(Now that it's public knowledge that Oracle developed a whole new
[propriatery] cluster filesystem from the ground up for RAC.)

1) Seems that the 11.2 docs encourage using ACFS rather than OCFS2 for
oracle binaries.  Would it be safe to say that OCFS2 isn't strategic at
all anymore for Oracle database files?  I've also noticed that OCFS2 is
the underlying filesystem in Oracle VM.  Is this a shift in strategy for
OCFS2?  As a development team, are you guys increasing your focus on
Oracle VM?  I wouldn't expect that Oracle would continue to invest in
OCFS2 development only for the benefit of SLES...

2) I'm curious if anyone has tried running OCFS2 on DVM?  Would there be
any point to using OCFS2 rather than ACFS?

3) ACFS shapshots -- or are those a feature of DVM?  Seems like a great
feature - isn't xfs the only other currently released filesystem to
support this?  Any plans to add snapshots to the OCFS2 roadmap?

This is why I've always loved OCFS2 so much to start with -- there is no
"asm-users" or "asm-devel" mailing list.  :)

-Jeremy

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10500/asmfilesystem.htm

--
Jeremy Schneider