[Ocfs2-users] Multiple LUNs and ocfs2

Bill Ranck ranck at vt.edu
Tue Oct 20 12:32:51 PDT 2009

Hello folks,
   I am a newbie with ocfs2 and Oracle VM in general, but I'm slowly
figuring things out.  I have installed ovm server on 2 blades in an IBM
bladecenter, and I have gotten ocfs2 working such that both blades are
mounting /OVS from a shared SAN LUN.  So far, so good.
   I will be installing a guest VM on one of the blades with the idea
that we can do live migration if/when needed.  The database that will be
set up there will need to use 6 X 100G LUNs from the SAN.  What is the
best way to aggregate these LUNs for that purpose?  I've got them
visible as /dev/dm-2 through /dev/dm-7 on both systems.  Do I use LVM at
the hypervisor level to combine them into one big disk group and volume,
then use mkfs.ocfs2 on that?  Or is there a better way?
   I see, with a quick look through of the archives from this list, that
ocfs2 can not aggregate the LUNs itself.  I'm just hoping for a pointer
in the right direction so I don't shoot myself in the foot by choosing
the wrong thing early in the project.

--
Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.