[Ocfs2-users] 2 node OCFS2 clusters

Luis Freitas lfreitas34 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 16 12:57:26 PST 2009

Joel,

   Sorry but I don't agree on this.

   For CRS there is no need for a dedicated switch, only a need for using switches instead of cross cables. Although it is not recommended you can use the same switch for the public and private networks, using different vlans. The network status can be checked by the link status, that is what CRS does, and also by pinging the router. This information could be used as part of the heuristics to decide which node should survive. Of course it doesn't cover all network topologies, but it is sure better than node 0 always survive when network is down.

   I see this as a problem in a RAC implementation, since there are two different cluster stacks running (O2CB and CRS), they are not integrated and take decisions with a different heuristic. For me it would make more sense if they were integrated and one of the cluster stacks was in control, in the same way that happens when you use RAC with Veritas/HP ServiceGuard/Sun Cluster Suite, or OCFS2 with heartbeat2, for example.

Best Regards,
Luis Freitas