[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 hangs during webserver usage

Luis Freitas lfreitas34 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 17:44:15 PST 2009

David,

  You probably could get away with writing the log files to OCFS2, but in different files.

   The access_log gets a small write on each access, and writes will be serialized, since no two processes can write to it at the same time.

   So it should be related more to the size of the disk queues and the speed of the interconnect than to the speed of the SAN itself. If you keep writing to the same file from different nodes, OCFS2 will need to keep flushing pages and bouncing write locks from one node to another on each page hit. This is very nonscalable, as you got a single serialized write on each page access.

   The extent size would play a role on this also, as Sunil pointed. You could check if the extent size is different on your test environment. The mkfs tool might have defaulted a larger extent size if the total size of the filesystem is larger. (Sunil, correct me on this if I am wrong).

Regards,
Luis