[Ocfs2-users] mounted.ocfs2 -f return Unknown: Bad magic number in inode

BOUTKHIL--CAPGEMINI--, Mohamed mohamed.boutkhil-capgemini at ca-leasing.fr
Thu Jan 15 01:40:35 PST 2009

Please forget my last question about mixed name of device mapper (dm-0 and
dm-4)
dm-0 is linked to sda and sdf
dm-4 is linked to sda1 and sdf1

So just the "bad magic" message disturbs me.

Mohamed.

             Mohamed
             BOUTKHIL--CAPGEMI
             NI--/MAIL                                                   A
                                       Sunil Mushran
             15/01/2009 10:19          <sunil.mushran at oracle.com>
                                                                        cc

                                                                     Objet
                                       Re: [Ocfs2-users] mounted.ocfs2 -f
                                       return Unknown: Bad magic number in
                                       inode(Document link: Mohamed
                                       BOUTKHIL--CAPGEMINI--)

Thanks for your quick response.
I used bvi as you suggested and it works fine.
here is what I have now :
 mounted.ocfs2 -f
Device                FS     Nodes
/dev/sda              ocfs2  Unknown: Bad magic number in inode
/dev/sda1             ocfs2  pocrhel2, pocrhel1
/dev/sdf              ocfs2  Unknown: Bad magic number in inode
/dev/sdf1             ocfs2  pocrhel2, pocrhel1
/dev/dm-0             ocfs2  Unknown: Bad magic number in inode
/dev/dm-4             ocfs2  pocrhel2, pocrhel1

Is it normal to have this message : "Unknown: Bad magic number in inode" to
the device where an OCFS2 partition is built ?

And eventually, there is a switch between multipath. Normally dm-0 path is
linked to device sda and sdf (as multipath -ll command says). dm-4 is an
old one no more used
(in fact linked with sdb and sdg that I modified just before with bvi)

Mohamed.

             Sunil Mushran
             <sunil.mushran at or
             acle.com>                                                   A
                                       "BOUTKHIL--CAPGEMINI--, Mohamed"
             13/01/2009 21:03          <mohamed.boutkhil-capgemini at ca-leas
                                       ing.fr>
                                                                        cc
                                       ocfs2-users at oss.oracle.com
                                                                     Objet
                                       Re: [Ocfs2-users] mounted.ocfs2 -f
                                       return Unknown: Bad magic number in
                                       inode

Appears you formatted the devices before you partitioned them.
As the ocfs2 superblock is in the third block, it is not overwritten
during partition. This version of mounted.ocfs2 does not handle
this situation.

Easiest fix is hand editing the signature using a binary editor.

$ bvi -s 10240 /dev/sda

Change the ocfs2 signature (OCFSV2) to something else. Changing
one character is enough.