[Ocfs2-users] how to format

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 07:17:17 PST 2009

Brett Worth <brett at worth.id.au> 2009-01-14 20:00:
> Christophe BOUDER wrote:
>
> > but i can't format my new big device to use more than 16To for it.
>
> You should "Consider increasing the block size" to perhaps 16k.  That should increase the
> size to 64TB

I think he meant cluster size.

http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/dist/documentation/v1.2/ocfs2_faq.html

Look at number 64 and 32.

I know the documentation is for the previous version, but I believe the
principles still apply.

Note that since this sets the smallest allocatable size to a single
file, if your volume is meant for many small files you'll end up wasting
a lot of space.  Perhaps the data in inode feature helps with that
though.  I've used an increased cluster size on media volumes before
though and had no troubles.

Brian