[Ocfs2-users] Some questions for understanding ocfs2 & drbd

Rustedt, Florian Florian.Rustedt at smartnet.de
Tue Jan 13 08:26:56 PST 2009

Hello list,

If i take a drbd over two hosts configured as dual primary, i can access
files via ocfs2 from both sides.
For this, on both sides i'ld have to mount the ocfs2-partition locally
and both sides have their own ocfs-DLM, as far as i understood?

So in Detail:

1. /dev/drbd0 configured in dual primary, taking one partition from each
host
2. drbd0 is ocfs2 formatted
3. ocfs2-tools are started on each host
4. Host A has got drbd0 mounted, Host B has got drbd0 mounted. This
means, both mount drbd0 from "localhost", over their local DLM-daemon(?)

So now, this can only work, if theese both DLM's "talk" with each other
about locking, is it like that?

Over all, this is targeted for a XEN system, so my aim is running
XEN-Images on DRBD in a way, that both sides have the same image-data at
the same time, delivering me instant-switching between the XEN-hosts via
online-migration and, even more, the ability to do load-balancing over
both hosts, if both hosts run the same image?

Is it like that?

Kind regards, Florian
named recipient(s) only.