[Ocfs2-users] mailcluster advice?

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Mon Jan 5 18:56:59 PST 2009

>>jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com wrote:
>> I've been wondering the same things.  Currently testing an ocfs2
filesystem
>> using two servers (postfix, courier imap/pop, etc) and am wondering if
I'll
>> run into problems, especially with the simultaneous writes.  Reading the
>> 1.4 user guide, I notice the author says the filesystem can be used for
>> fail-over mail facilities (but will work in read/read environments).

> I mentioned failover as most mailservers are not cluster-enabled.
> But I will be happy to be corrected.

Of course they are not.  I'm simply trying to understand the capabilities
and limitations of the Oracle cluster filesystem.  With an NFS mounted
filesystem, you can have two servers mount the same volume and perform
simultaneous reads/writes while the NFS mechanism takes care of locking,
etc.  This scenario works fine for a mailserver.

My question is can two non-clustered servers, or two non-clustered
applications, mount the same OFCS2 volume and perform simultaneous
reads/writes without fear of data corruption on the volume?

James