[Ocfs2-users] ASM over OCFS2 vs. Standard locally managed tablespaces

Karim Alkhayer kkhayer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 06:13:11 PST 2009

Thanks Luis/Martin for your thoughts

I’m raising this comparison noting the following givens:

RAC is operating on Oracle 10.1.0.5; so the ASM is a bit far beyond hot
fixes.

OCFS2 is also old on SLES9 SP3. That’s why we’re considering the upgrade to
SLES10 SP2.

Oracle software upgrade is not an option for the moment due to applications’
certification.

The RAC + Standby node will be sharing a file system prepared specifically
for recovery  and staging, so that we don’t have to rely on the network
during crisis.

Since we’re upgrading to SLES10 SP2, it is expected to have OCFS2 much more
stable. However, I still believe that we’ll be stuck to the existing setup
where the databases are not self-managed, and because of the upgrade is
primarily for the sake of OCFS2 . That’s why ASM over OCFS2, from a concept
point of view, could introduce the best of the two worlds.

Best regards,

Karim