[Ocfs2-users] future of ocfs2

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Fri Feb 6 10:25:22 PST 2009

One point I missed out earlier is that ocfs2 should not be viewed as
an Oracle only product. When the fs was pushed into the mainline kernel,
it was because we wanted it to become a community project. Like Linux
itself.

Until some time ago, we would credit non-oracle people who contributed
patches to it. No more. It is getting very complicated. For example,
let's review the parentage of two new features we've added recently.

1. Extended attributes: Added in 2.6.28. The spec was first written by
Suse, later enhanced by Oracle. Coded by Oracle. Patches reviewed by Suse
and Oracle. Tested by Oracle. Being currently tested in Suse as it is part
of their next release.

2. Quotas: Added in 2.6.29. Spec-ed and developed by Suse (by the kernel's
quota subsystem maintainer). Reviewed by Oracle and Suse. Tested by Oracle.

And it is not just Suse. Even as I write, I am debugging an issue pointed
to by Red Hat's Linux Cluster group. It has to do with ocfs2 working with
the new cman.

OCFS2, in more ways than one, is very much a product of this decade.

Sunil