[Ocfs2-users] Combining OCFS2 with Linux software RAID-0?

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 08:09:51 PST 2009

Luis Freitas <lfreitas34 at yahoo.com> 2009-12-11 05:40:
> Patrick,
>
>    Depending on what you are using, you could use the volume manager
>    to do the striping, but you need to use CLVM. So if you can, go for
>    Heartbeat2+CLVM+OCFS2, all integrated.
>
>    Not sure but I think Heartbeat2+OCFS2 is only available on the
>    vanilla kernels, not on the enterprise ones. Maybe Suse has
>    support, I don't know, you will have to check.
>
> Best Regards,
> Luis Freitas

Just to elaborate on these comments.  Last time I checked CLVM required
the openais/cman cluster stack, which neither heartbeat nor ocfs2 use
(by default).  The userspace stack option for ocfs2 in recent mainline
kernels added support for the openais stack and pacemaker is required to
make heartbeat work with that rather than use it's own cluster stack.

Now, you can do an basic LVM linear span, concatenation, or whatever you
want to call it without any cluster stack, so long as it's not striped
and so long as you heed Sunil's warning about fat fingering changes to
the thing while more than one host is using it.

That means that if you want to add another LUN to the span you can't do
it on the fly.  You have to do something like this:

# On all nodes:
umount /ocfs2

# On all nodes but one:
vgchange -an ocfs2span
# Or, to be extra safe:
halt -p

# On the remaining node:
vgextend ocfs2span /dev/newlun
lvextend -l+100%FREE /dev/mapper/ocfs2span-lv
tunefs.ocfs2 -S /dev/mapper/ocfs2span-lv

# You might actually need the fs mounted for that last bit, I forget.
# Probably a fsck somewhere in there would be wise as well.

# Bring the other nodes back up.

Brian