[Ocfs2-users] Ghost files in OCFS2 filesystem

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Thu Aug 20 17:46:07 PDT 2009

Yes, this is a known issue in OCFS2 1.4.1 and 1.4.2. That is assuming
no process in the cluster has that file open. We have the fix. It will be
available with 1.4.3 which is in testing.

This was discussed in the email announcing the 1.4.2 release.
http://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/ocfs2-announce/2009-June/000028.html

1. Oracle# 7643059 - Orphan files not getting deleted
When one unlinks a file, its inode is moved to the orphan directory and
deleted when it is no longer in-use across the cluster. As part of the
scheme, the node that unlinks the file, informs interested nodes of the
same, asking the last node to stop using that inode to recover the space
allocated to it. However, this scheme fails if memory pressure forces a
node to forget to delete the inode on close.
This issue was introduced in OCFS2 1.4.1. While we have fixed this issue,
the fix did not make it into this release. Users running into this issue
can call Oracle Support and ask for an interim release with this fix.

Workaround:
If on 1.4.2, mount the fs on another node. Chances are it will delete
the orphans. If not or if you are on 1.4.1, umount vol on all nodes and
run fsck.ocfs2 -f.

You could ping support to get an interim fix. But we are close to releasing
1.4.3. So maybe better if you wait for that.

Sunil