[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 on email storage

Sérgio Surkamp sergio at gruposinternet.com.br
Wed Aug 12 08:03:49 PDT 2009

Em Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:05:44 +0800
"Thomas G. Lau" <thomas.lau at ntt.com.hk> escreveu:

> Dear all,
>
> Anyone using OCFS2 on email storage system ? (postfix/qmail).
> Wondering if any of you suffer any problem?! Also, what parameter did
> you tune for email system only? thanks.

Hello Thomas,

We are using as general propose shared filesystem (email, shared files,
some web related files, etc...) and the only drawback from a local
filesystem is that it's a bit slower due to cluster stack.

About the tuning we have reduced the block size and pre-allocated size
to reduce the on-disk size, since email messages usually are tiny files
(lets say about 8K per message).

Our setup:

mkfs.ocfs2 -b 4096 -C 4096 -N 4 /dev/sd<X>

If you plan to use it for a large number of accounts, keep your eye on
the 32000 sub-directories limitation.

Regards,
--
  .:''''':.
.:'        `     Sérgio Surkamp | Gerente de Rede
::    ........   sergio at gruposinternet.com.br
  `:,   ,.:'     *Grupos Internet S.A.*
    `: :'        R. Lauro Linhares, 2123 Torre B - Sala 201
     : :         Trindade - Florianópolis - SC
     :.'
     ::          +55 48 3234-4109
     :
     '           http://www.gruposinternet.com.br