[Ocfs2-users] Heartbeat Timeout Threshold

Luis Freitas lfreitas34 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 13:15:54 PDT 2009

Bret,

   These are my two cents on this subject. If I am not mistaken, there are two heartbeats, one on the network and one on the disk. Failure on either one of them will cause a node to be evicted.

    If you have network bonding, depending on your configuration and the network topology, when one path fails the switches might have to reconfigure the path to that MAC address, and that could take some time. This can be reduced forcing arp broadcasts on the new path, so the network equipment between your servers can reconfigure itself faster.

    For the disk heartbeat, assuming that:

- You have dual FC cards on each server
- You have dual FC switches connected to each other
- You have a storage with two or more FC ports, connected to the switches.

   You have a FC card timeout (Probably set on the HBA firmware or on the driver), the multipath timeout, and a storage controller timeout.

   Each of these need to be smaller than your cluster heartbeat timeout in order for all the nodes to survive a component failure. For example, an EMC storage has two internal controllers (SP) and a SP failover in the order of two minutes.

   During this time the LUNs that are routed through the failed SP will be unresponsive, and the FC card on your server will not report this to the O/S until its timeout is reached. After the failover inside the EMC storage, the multipath software on your server will also need to establish the new path to the LUN using the surviving SP.

Best Regards,
Luis Freitas