[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 vs ext3?

Tao Ma tao.ma at oracle.com
Wed Apr 29 00:36:20 PDT 2009

Andrew (Anything) wrote:
>> Hi Andrew,
>> 	I just checked max-features, it doesn't include "local" which means
>> that you still need to create dlm lock in your local node which will
>> cost some delay. You can check whether your volume enable "local" by
>> command
>>
>> echo 'stats'|debugfs.ocfs2 /dev/sdX|grep "Incompat"
>>
>> If the volume is mkfsed to used as local disk, you should see "local".
>> Otherwise you need to add "--fs-features=local" to your mkfs.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tao
>
> Thanks for your replies Tao and Thomas
>
> I still intend on using the filesystem in a 3 node cluster, but when I found
> it to be 25x slower than a single ext3 part I thought id start
> troubleshooting at the start.
>
> I just did a format of a small partition to give it a quick test anyway, and
> found that it performs just as well as ext3, in some test even better.
>
> Except if I understand correctly, local disables the ability for clustering
> completely?
yes, local means you will use it locally, so other nodes can't use it.

>> Dear Andrew,
>>
>> I think the result should be normal because ocfs2 is a cluster fs ?
>>

> Hi Thomas,
>

> on a single node system (with no network latency, and only itself to talk
> to) I had expected better results.
> is a 10x reduction in file creation/modification an expected result?
could you please talk a little more about the test case?

Just FYI. I have just committed a new series of patches to 2.6.30 which
will improve inode allocation a lot. See
http://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/ocfs2-devel/2009-January/003799.html

It will save you a lot of time when you create a large amount of file,
delete them and then recreate. The above link can show you the test result.

Regards,
Tao