[Ocfs2-users] Lost write in archive logs: has it ever happened?

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Mon Sep 22 11:22:33 PDT 2008

No, I've never heard of an end user running into it. Or, any bug we've
fixed that addresses this.

Are you multiplexing the archivelogs?

Lost write could be due to any layer from the userspace to the disk array.
By multiplexing archivelogs and mirroring redologs, you will reduce
the chances of getting bit by it. Reduce, but not eliminate.

A lost write in a db file will get detected. Not immediately, but when
the db reads that block. And that's why we take backups.

BTW, 1.2.3 is 2+ years old.  You should look into upgrading to sles9
sp3 that is shipping 1.2.5, or better yet sp4, that is shipping 1.2.9.

Sunil