[Ocfs2-users] Lost write in archive logs: has it ever happened?

Silviu Marin-Caea silviumc at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 22 05:02:36 PDT 2008

We have 2 nodes with OCFS2 1.2.3 (SLES9).  The archive logs are generated on
an OCFS2 volume (mounted with nointr,datavolume).  It has happened 3 times in
one year that some archivelog had a lost write.  We have detected this when
applying the archivelogs on the standby database (with dataguard).  We had to
copy some datafiles from the production database to the standby and let it
resume the recovery process.

Has it ever occurred a data loss of this kind (lost write) on an OCFS2 volume,
version 1.2.3 x86_64?

We had 32 bit servers before with OCFS2 that was even older than 1.2.3 and
those servers never had such a problem with archivelogs.

The storage is Dell/EMC Clariion CX3-40.  The storage on the old servers was
CX300.

We are worried that this lost writes could occur not only in archivelogs but
in the datafiles as well...

Not saying that OCFS2 is the cause, the problem might be with something else,
but we must investigate everything.

Thank you