[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 on VMware workstation

Marcos E. Matsunaga Marcos.Matsunaga at oracle.com
Wed May 21 06:56:56 PDT 2008

Here is what I did.

First step is to define a disk that will be shared on the guest1. It
will usually be on scsi1 (scsi0 is the guest install disk).

Once the guest is configured, I changed the scsi1 definition in the .vmx
file to be like:

*disk.locking = "FALSE"*
scsi1.present = "TRUE"
*scsi1.sharedBus = "virtual"*
scsi1:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi1:0.fileName = "<PATH TO YOUR VIRTUAL DISK>Shared-0.vmdk"
scsi1:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"
scsi1:0.mode = "independent-persistent"
scsi1.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

Note the disk.locking and scsi1.sharedBus parameters. I set them based
on VMWare doc (Server Admin Manual - Chapter 7 - Using High-Availability
Configurations)

The settings above needs to be replicated to the second guest
configuration file (.vmx file of the guest2).

This worked for me. Not even close to a good performance (single core
machine, 2.8GHz and 2GB RAM running about 70 xterm sessions on the host,
thunderbird, firefox, etc.), but I wasn't expecting it anyway.

Regards,

Marcos Eduardo Matsunaga

Oracle USA
Linux Engineering

“The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not
necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.”