[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 performance and scaling

Mark Fasheh mfasheh at suse.com
Thu Jul 24 16:54:46 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 03:54:19PM -0500, Sabuj Pattanayek wrote:
> The ocfs2-tools-devel post has info regarding the block/cluster size
> (from the mkfs command) used which will pertain to the following
> question: in general, what sort of performance numbers are people
> seeing for something like "time dd if=/dev/zero of=testFile bs=4k
> count=500000"? I'm getting anywhere from 120MB/s to 165MB/s . The same
> command on XFS using the same hardware/LVM setup gives me 300MB/s and
> with GFS2 gives 100MB/s.

Try mounting Ocfs2 in writeback journaling mode:

	mount -t ocfs2 -odata=writeback /dev/XXX /mountpoint

That should increase your perfomance for streaming writes.

By the way, are you only timing the dd, or are you doing dd;sync and timing
the entire operation? The latter is a better measurement of how long it
takes to get data written to disk.
	--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh