[Ocfs2-users] OCFS processes active after a umount [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Mark Schloss Mark.Schloss at austrac.gov.au
Mon Jul 21 21:22:04 PDT 2008

Hello Sunil,

Thanks for the reply. The version is 1.2.9-1 and kernel is
2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.

We have managed to reproduce the problem and it appears to be related to
multipathing. We recently moved to multipathing the OCFS volumes. On the
weekend we tested removing one path to the OCFS volumes and all was OK.
When the path was restored the box still showed it as being unavailable.
We found this to be caused by the multipath daemon not running as it had
not been set to start automatically. After the daemon was started both
paths to the OCFS volumes were shown as available, however, when trying
to umount and offline OCFS we see the behaviour outlined originally.
This is reproducible as follows -

1. Start with both paths to the OCFS volumes available
2. Shutdown the multipath daemon
3. Remove one path by disconnecting a cable to the switch
4. Restore the path by reconnecting cable
5. Start multipath daemon
6. Check both paths are available
7. Umount the OCFS file system (this returns immediately without the
usual few second delay)
8. Offline OCFS - error is received

Under normal circumstances, i.e.: when the multipath daemon is
continuously available, losing a path, restoring a path, umount and
offline all work as expected.

Regards

Mark

Mark Schloss | Oracle DBA | Information Technology | x0013