[Ocfs2-users] Different size with du and ls

Markus Meyer markus.meyer at koeln.de
Thu Jul 10 15:06:48 PDT 2008

Sunil Mushran schrieb:
> So you have a 4TB volume. Correct? Appears mkfs chose 64K as the
> cluster size. This means the smallest data allocation would be 64K.

Jep, 4 TB it is ;)
64k!? I had to act fast so I didn't have the time to check all mkfs
options. As I read about the "-T mail" option I thought it would choose
sensible values for creating the FS. All the files are around 12-15 kB
in size and the blocksize was 4 kB as in the XFS filesystem we use.

> One solution is to format ocfs2 with explicit values.
>
> mkfs.ocfs2 -b4K -C 4K -L label -T mail -N 2 /dev/sdX
> This should force it to use 4K clustersize.

Blocksize I understand but what means cluster size in this context (I
read the man page but couldn't wrap my head around it).
Still it seems that reformatting is my only choice since I don't have
enough space with the current setup. *argh*
Yeah, I know RTFM.

Thanks,

	Markus