[Ocfs2-users] Slow backups, slow rsync

Michael Moody michael at gsc.cc
Tue Jul 1 14:01:48 PDT 2008

I use rsync to take backups of my ocfs2 filesystems (since nothing else really supports it out of the box). Unfortunately, it's very slow, on the order of 10 times slower than the same files on a reiserfs filesystem. The filesystems contain about 100gb of data, though I'm backing up nearly 2 million files, and that grows every day (it's a webroot for a few webservers).

I heard rumors of dir hashing back in the day, any idea when anything that will help my current situation will be added?

I thought of using inotify coupled with ocfs2 to take backups in real time, unfortunately, inotify doesn't seem to work with ocfs2, which is unfortunate.

Ideas?

Michael