[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 "ERROR: bad directory"

Luke Schierer luke-ocfs2 at schierer.org
Sat Jan 12 07:14:44 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 07:52:13AM -0500, Vincas Čižiūnas wrote:
> We have a problem.  My friend and I have a directory that cannot be removed
> because it has no . or .. .  Does anyone want to take a guess on what to
> do?  fsck.ocfs2 does not fix it.  Thank you. I can provide any other
> information you may need.  I'd like to be able to fix this directory.
>

> (23563,0):ocfs2_empty_dir:306 ERROR: bad directory (dir #18886251) - no `.'
> or `..'
>
> --V

We also cannot move or rename the directory.  If you try to move it,
it complains about moving a directory to a subdirectory of itself, ie:

luke at gabriel:~/todelete$ mv Wedding/ test
mv: cannot move `Wedding/' to a subdirectory of itself, `test'
luke at gabriel:~/todelete$

and rm complains that the directory is not empty even with the -rf
flag.

Any ideas on how to further debug and fix this would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
luke