[Ocfs2-users] Another node is heartbeating in our slot

Sunil Mushran Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com
Tue Jan 8 10:12:18 PST 2008

Werner van der Walt wrote:
> Thank you very much Sunil. I will give it a try with multiple iSCSI nodes
> then and no host mount and check the results :)
>
> Just another question relating to the number of hosts and nodes. According to
> the docs it seems like you can only set up 1 cluster. What if you want a node
> to be able to connect to two separate iSCSI hosts serving the same or
> different OCFS2 block devices. Can that be done? In the config file it only
> allows for the one cluster's config and you can only have one config file per
> node?

You can have nodes mounting volumes exported by different iscsi hosts,
as long as the volumes exported are different. As in, if two exported
volumes
are the same, then that won't work.

> Am I then correct in saying that OCFS2 is more of a multi-node access/usage
> file system rather than a distributed cluster file system? As I cannot connect
> to more than one OCFS2 block device host at the same time it will always have
> a one-to-many relationship. If my host dies then the block device dies. Its
> not keeping multiple synchronised copies of the block device distributed over
> several hosts which I can set up and let it fail-over if one of the hosts
> dies?

OCFS2 is a shared disk clustered file system. It allows multiple nodes
to concurrently access the file system on a shared device.