[Ocfs2-users] user-space heartbeat ptaches from suse

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Mon Jan 7 17:27:01 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:52:46PM +0100, Christian Lox wrote:
> Does anyone know why the user-space heartbeat (linux-ha) patches from SuSE
> / Novell are not commited to the mainline ocfs2 source tree? Or are they?
>
> Is there an easy way (which does not break the distros package management)
> to apply these?

	We looked at those patches and determined they weren't a
flexible way to go forward.  We've worked on it, and we think we have a
scheme that will work for all userspace stacks.  You can see the design
documents at
http://oss.oracle.com/osswiki/OCFS2/DesignDocs/UserspaceClustering.
The attempt to use the SuSE patches with mainline is documented at
http://oss.oracle.com/osswiki/OCFS2/CManUnderO2CB.
	The new scheme won't make mainline for a little while - we have
some details to work out and some testing to do.  You're welcome to try
it from our GIT trees before then, of course.
	Regarding distro packages, the new scheme won't be in a distro
package any time soon.  Unfortunately, you cannot apply patches on top
of a binary distro package (which is what I think you were asking).

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #314

	"Never underestimate the power of forgiveness."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker at oracle.com