[Ocfs2-users] dlm questions

Charlie Sharkey charlie.sharkey at bustech.com
Mon Jan 7 11:28:44 PST 2008

I have an application I run on the nodes of a cluster. This
application used the dlm for file locking between the nodes by
calling o2dlm_initialize() to create a domain, and then o2dlm_lock()
and o2dlm_unlock() to lock/unlock files. This works fine, and
the locks are seen by the other nodes.

I was wondering on the viability of two clusters accessing the
same volume, and seeing each others locks.

Say I have two (2 node) clusters, A and B. Each cluster is on a private
network within itself, and they are identical. This means each cluster
will have a system host1 on 10.1.1.1 and a system host2 on 10.1.1.2 .

  1. first of all, would this configuration even work ? If not,
     would it work if the clusters had different cluster names,
     host names, ip addresses ?

  2. can a node on cluster A see a dlm lock from cluster B ?
     note there is no IP connection between the clusters.

  3. is there any way to make one cluster aware of a different cluster
     that is ip connected (one with a different cluster name, host
names,
     ip addresses, same/different dlm domain names) ?

Thank you,

charlie