[Ocfs2-users] Possibility for networkless installation (for long distance shared storage)

Luis Freitas lfreitas34 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 10:34:42 PST 2008

Michael,

   You might be able to route IP over your FC network. I know that some unixes do this, but I am not sure on how to do it on Linux.

Regards,
Luis

Mark Fasheh <mark.fasheh at oracle.com> wrote: On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 08:47:37AM -0800, Michael M. wrote:
> As we have fiber channel, and we have fiber connections, sometimes direct
> p-to-p, where we could run it into our fiber channel switch, and share a disk
> array over hundreds of feet, to hundreds of miles, but where servers wouldn’t
> be able to talk via fast enough network connection, does (or will) ocfs2
> support a mode where there is no network connection needed, and all voting, and
> cluster “talking” can be done to the block device itself, including the
> heartbeat?

Ocfs (v1) used to do that, but we moved away from it for Ocfs2 because it
quickly became unusably slow once all the additional locking traffic for
general purpose usage was added.
 --Mark

--
Mark Fasheh