[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 and Cloning

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at atc-onlane.com
Mon Feb 25 15:18:09 PST 2008

I am working currently on cloning on a regular basis our production
OCFS2 volumes to our test environment. For the database (Oracle 10G R2
RAC) we put it into backup mode, then execute a Snapclone on our 3Par
SAN. Then we use RemoteCopy and SnapClone to our development 3Par SAN.

To recover the OCFS2 volume I got through the following steps:

Stop database
umount /export/<volume name>
Log into SAN to refresh Snapclone
fsck.ocfs -y /dev/mapper/<volume name>
mount /export/<volume name>
umount /export/<volume name>
tunefs.ocfs -U /dev/mapper/<volume name>
tunefs.ocfs -L /export/<volume name> /dev/mapper/<volume name>
mount /export/<volume name>
Go through steps to recover and rename database
Start database

This seems to work, although I am curiously why I have to mount/umount
the volume in between fsck and tunefs. The fsck obviously will go
through and recover the journal but unless I mount/umount the volume
once, tunefs will come back with dirty file system.

Are there any other steps I should be doing or does this sequence look
ok?

Regards, Ulf.