[Ocfs2-users] Another node is heartbeating in ourslot! errorswith LUN removal/addition

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at openlane.com
Fri Dec 5 12:51:38 PST 2008

Here is how we do backup and refresh of development databases from our
production database. The SANs involved in this are 3Par E200 and S400
using Rcopy and SnapClone.

Production database gets put into backup mode
Execute either Rcopy refresh or SnapClone Refresh on S400 (Rcopy for
Dev, SnapClone for Backup)
Take production database out of backup mode

For backups we continue with:

Running fsck to replay journal
Mounting and unmounting volume on backup server to clear the dirty flag,
just running fsck will not do that.
We reset at this point the UUID and label of the volume to not run into
issues we want to mount 2 different version of the snapclone
Running one more time fsck to ensure no errors
Mount volume
Recover database via log files
Clean shutdown of database
Backup Database in cold state
Unmount volume

For development database refresh:

Rcopy above refreshed a master volume on E200 SAN
We shutdown development database X (we got several copies) and unmount
volume on all nodes in the RAC cluster
Run SnapClone refresh command on SAN
Run fsck from one node to replay journal
Mount and unmount volume on one node to clear dirty flag
Reset UUID and label
Run fsck one more time
Mount volume on all RAC nodes again
Recover database from logs and modify name to the development name
At this point after other script run to modify contents in the database
(email addresses, phone numbers, etc)
And voila database is ready for use by developers.

Ulf Zimmermann | Senior System Architect

OPENLANE
4600 Bohannon Drive, Suite 100
Menlo Park, CA 94025

O: 650-532-6382  M: (510) 396-1764  F: (510) 580-0929

Email: ulf at openlane.com | Web: www.openlane.com