[Ocfs2-users] A file was strangly truncated on OCFS2

Michael Daskalov mdaskalov at technologica.com
Wed Aug 6 10:43:10 PDT 2008

Hi all,
we've had some strange problem. It happened on Oracle VM server 2.1
platform.

[root at vm-01 ovs-agent-2.2]# cat /proc/fs/ocfs2/version
OCFS2 1.2.7 Fri Nov  9 18:53:30 EST 2007 (build
d443ce77532cea8d1e167ab2de51b8c8)

[root at vm-01 ovs-agent-2.2]# mount | grep OVS
/dev/sda5 on /OVS type ocfs2 (rw,heartbeat=none)

The problem is that one of the files for an VM image was truncated.
The only thing that I currently know is that another file in the same
filesystem was somehow being extended.

An attempt was made to extend an image by 7GB using something similar to
dd if=/dev/zero of=/OVS/file_to_be_increased oflag=append count=7000
bs=1048576

The end result is that another file (for another VM) has been truncated
(strangely with 7GB).

Can any of you recommend any option to debug the problem. Shall we have
any hopes to eventually to recover the file?
fsck didn't show any problem.
Do you think that the observed situation is really possible? Is this a
known problem?

Best regards,

         .
        ...        Mihail Daskalov