[Ocfs2-users] restore deleted partition

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Fri Apr 25 12:40:46 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 06:30:13PM +0200, Christian Lox wrote:

> Am 25.04.2008 um 18:28 schrieb Sunil Mushran:
> > That's the first backup. That looks bad... not a good sign.
> > What about the second backup? It is at offset 4G.
> >
> We tried with options -r 1 up to -r 6.
> Same result. :(

	Wouldn't the new mkfs have written new backup superblocks?
They're not going to help.  The only thing I can think of is

1) Somehow find an inode from the old filesystem on the disk
2) Save off its i_fs_generation
3) Write that i_fs_generation to the superblock and all the system files
4) Find all the inode groups that were from the old filesystem
5) Link them into the new allocator
6) Run fsck

That's a *lot* of work.  All of these steps assume hand-editing via
dd/bvi/something and a very strong knowledge of on-disk structures.  And
you might not get anything anyway.

Joel

--

 The herd instinct among economists makes sheep look like
 independant thinkers.

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle