[Ocfs2-users] Maximum volume size for OCFS2?

Sunil Mushran Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com
Fri Sep 28 13:41:46 PDT 2007

Please re-read the FAQ entry.

# Is there a limit to the size of an ocfs2 file system?
Yes, current software addresses block numbers with 32 bits. So the file
system device is limited to (2 ^ 32) * blocksize (see mkfs -b). With a
4KB block size this amounts to a 16TB file system. This block addressing
limit will be relaxed in future software. At that point the limit
becomes addressing clusters of 1MB each with 32 bits which leads to a
4PB file system.

The addressing limit is in JBD, in that it can only address 4 billion
blocks.
The fix for this I believe is in mainline so technically the mainline branch
should be able to go full 4PB... but safe to say that's never been tested.

The one shipped with SLES is limited to 16TB.