[Ocfs2-users] NEWBIE: constant disk access Q

AJ Weber aweber at comcast.net
Tue Sep 18 10:34:52 PDT 2007

I just configured-up my first, two-node OCFS2 cluster with one mount-point (sdb1).  (I know, hooray for you, newbie.)

I'm just noticing that there is almost-constant activity on sdb, even when neither node is actually doing anything (obvious) with the mount-point.  The OCFS2 cluster is started and running on both nodes, but there are no procs or users using the fs, yet there's so much "overhead"?

Is this common and to be expected?  Are there any "tuning parameters" (other than number of nodes) that I should be aware of?  I'm just surprised at how much disk activity is happening with nothing using the disks, and am almost afraid of what happens when we get a disk-intensive app using it from multiple nodes.

NOTE: This is not intended for a RAC install at this time.  Versions: CentOS 4.5, OCFS2-1.2.5.

Thanks in advance for any advice/pointers/tips.
-AJ