[Ocfs2-users] Missing something basic...

paul fretter (TOC) paul.fretter at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 19 07:21:44 PDT 2007

I had similar confusion myself when first looking for a suitable cluster
FS.  I'm not an expert at this, so forgive me if my language appears
simplistic.

There seemed to be 2 basic species:
- There are those which aggregate local storage LUNs from each host into
a single contiguous 'virtual' device, e.g. RedHat GFS etc.  Bear in mind
the4se 'local' LUNS could be a local disk, or a dedicated LUN on a SAN.

- Then there are those which expect all hosts to have direct (shared)
access to the same LUN.

OCFS2 falls into the latter category.

For disk redundancy you could use a shared disk shelf (e.g. IBM DS4xxx),
create a RAID(1,4 or 5) set in the hardware and present it as a single
shared-access LUN.  All your nodes then have a connection to the LUN
(e.g. by fibrechannel). In effect it is a small SAN!  OCFS2 is then the
glue which manages the file locking and metadata so that nodes don't try
to write to the same blocks at the same time.

By creating a "RAID" using multiple OCFS2 volumes you are bringing the
role of device level redundancy work into the OS, which is effectively
software RAID and is not conducive to high performance or reliability.

Then for high availability of the storage, a good way might be to create
a duplicate shared device and let the hardware perform mirroring for you
(e.g. over fibrechannel, infiniband, iSCSI) etc, and also let the
hardware do the failover for you.

So, by using a SAN with hardware RAID and hardware mirroring to a second
SAN device (with hardware RAID), you can achieve resilience and high
availability, leaving OCFS2 blissfully unaware.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Paul Fretter