[Ocfs2-users] Missing something basic...

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Wed Oct 17 18:00:24 PDT 2007

I'm stumped. I'm doing some research on clustered file systems to be deployed
over winter break, and am testing on spare machines first.

I have two identically configured computers, each with a 10 GB
partition, /dev/hda2. I intend to combine these two LAN/RAID1 style to
represent 10 GB of redundant cluster storage, so that if either machine
fails, computing can resume with reasonable efficiency.

These machines are called "cluster1" and "cluster2", and are currently on a
local Gb LAN. They are running CentOS 4.4 (recompile of RHEL 4.4) I've set up
SSH RSA keys so that I can ssh directly from either to the other without
passwords, though I use a non-standard port, defined in ssh_config and
sshd_config.

I've installed the RPMs without incident. I've set up a cluster called "ocfs2"
with nodes "cluster1" and "cluster2", with the corresponding LAN IP
addresses. I've confirmed that configuration changes populate to cluster2
when I push the appropriate button in the X11 ocfs2console on cluster1. I've
checked the firewall(s) to allow inbound TCP to port 7777 connections on both
machines, and verified this with nmap. I've also tried turning off iptables
completely. On cluster1, I've formatted and mounted partition "oracle"
to /meda/cluster using the ocfs2console and I can r/w to this partition with
other applications. There's about a 5-second delay when mounting/unmounting,
and the FAQ reflects that this is normal. SELinux is completely off.

Questions:

1) How do I get this "oracle" partition to show/mount on host cluster2, and
subsequent systems added to the cluster? Should I be expecting a /dev/* block
device to mount, or is there some other program I should be using, similar to
smbmount?

2) How do I get this /dev/hda2 (aka "oracle") on cluster1 to combine (RAID1
style) with /dev/hda2 on cluster2, so that if either host goes down I still
have a complete FS to work from? Am I mis-understanding the abilities and
intentions of OCFS2? Do I need to do something with NBD, GNBD, ENDB, or
similar? If so, what's the "recommended" approach?

Thanks,

-Ben

believed to be clean.