[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 and Apache Problem

Mark Fasheh mark.fasheh at oracle.com
Thu Oct 11 17:18:58 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 09:42:05AM -0700, Michael M. wrote:
> We’re recently running into troubles, however, (switched to the latest
> ocfs2-tools, latest kernel available at time of writing, 2.6.22). We use
> gentoo, so that makes it a little easier to use.

Have you tried any of the backported fixes for 2.6.22? You can find them at:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mfasheh/ocfs2/backports/

If at all possible, I'd upgrade to the latest 2.6.22 stable kernel
(2.6.22.10 at the moment), and apply the patches at:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mfasheh/ocfs2/backports/2.6.22.6/

That'd get at least those known issues out of the way.

Btw, which kernel / tools were you using previous to the upgrade?

> Mostly anytime a file is modified live on the ocfs2 volume, the 2 other nodes
> (also running apache), begin to get high load averages, and the site goes down,
> until all but node1 are rebooted. It seems there is some sort of locking
> contention? Also, if uploads are being done (via vsftpd) to the volume, the
> same behavior occurs, and no nodes are able to take out new locks. What could
> be causing this problem? It’s becoming an issue, as it takes the whole website
> down.

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by "live"... Are the nodes all doing
writes to the same file? That'd certainly incur a high locking overhead. It
shouldn't hang unrelated processes on the nodes though.

Could you file a bugzilla with the following information please:

- What processes are eating the cpu (I guess some info from "top" on all the
  nodes would do)
- Attach your kernel config
- File system options (the output from "echo stats -h | debugfs.ocfs2 /dev/XXX")
- Describe your storage and network
- Exact ocfs2-tools version

Btw, feel free to put my e-mail address as CC in the bugzilla.

Thanks,
	--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh