[Ocfs2-users] Cluster setup

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at livedatagroup.com
Thu Oct 11 12:33:27 PDT 2007

Sunil Mushran wrote:
> Randy Ramsdell wrote:
>> I am not taking sides but I think Alexei's postings are a positive
>> contribution to this project and more of a contribution than the
>> lurkers who write nothing to the list. His feedback does have merit
>> and should be considered valuable although it is critical of ocfs2.
>> We, although I strongly disagreed, have stopped using ocfs2 and we
>> WERE using it in a production environment.
>>
> The so-called lurkers file bugs, validate patches. That helps everybody.
>
> His feedback is useless. Ranting about the core design does not help
> anyone. Dreaming up possible bugs, without actually looking for them,
> is useless.

Your points have merit too and I certainly understand that you know your
stuff regarding ocfs2, but why should one not discuss core design? Are
you so confident and assume that flaws do not exist or acknowledge there
are different and maybe better ways to do things?

> When you encounter a bug, file a bugzilla with as much relevant
> information as possible. If you do that, we can fix the bug and everyone
> benefits. Sending emails like a broken record is not a positive
> contribution.

I think people tend to say things over and over if their ideas are never
taken seriously and since I have never really read a detailed and open
discussion regarding his concerns, maybe he simply repeats himself. I
would enjoy reading your thoughts about what Alexei has written
especially the issue regarding heartbeat.

> BTW, I hear great things about Vista.
What does this mean?

Thanks,
Randy Ramsdell