[Ocfs2-users] Hi

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Mon May 7 12:53:56 PDT 2007

Problem comes because OCFSv1 was designed as a simplified _oracle datafiles
only_ file system (you can't use it for anything else)
so it can do one thing only - keep oracle files - but do it well.

OCFSv2 is fully functional file system. Unfortunately, it lost some of
OCFSv1 reliability because of this (not because of the bad design, but
because common use FS have a higher requirements in the cluster). THis
reliability increases in the recent versions,
but is still much lower vs OCFSv1 (and the only way to reach OCFSv1
reliability is to implement '_ocfsv1 compatibility_ mode with
the same restrictions as in OCFSv1).

As I can understand (I dont work in Oracle), they work heavy to improve it,
but again, it is not a bug, it is a natural problem with
any cluster file system - you must select between _very restrictive access
by well known and predictrive application/excellent reliability_ and _common
use FS / more restrictive behavior in case of cluster problems_. So it takes
time to fix it all.

(We selected _ASM for data files, OCFSv2 for the backups and archive logs_
which works pretty well but stil require reliability improvements. But it is
just my personal preferences.)