[Ocfs2-users] any way to ignore quorum in a two node cluster with one node down?

Andrew D. Ball aball at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 17 15:14:35 PDT 2007

I would really like to see the following behavior:

(1) I start with a two-node cluster, both nodes online, with an ocfs2
filesystem mounted on both nodes.
(2) I power off one of the nodes without unmounting the filesystem.
(3) The node that is still powered on continues to use the filesystem
mounted read-write with no problems.

I believe I'm seeing that the node that is still online fails to write
data to the filesystem.  Specifically, mkdir(2) is failing.

This is related to having a quorum right?  Can the quorum requirements
be disabled?  I have a file-backed database on the filesystem and my
entire software stack will be broken if any surviving nodes cannot
update the database.  Is there any reason why ignoring the quorum would
be not a good idea?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew