[Ocfs2-users] Re: ocfs Vs ocfs2

Steffen Roegner sroegner at gmx.de
Wed Jan 17 09:05:36 PST 2007

GOKHAN wrote:

> coreutils-4.5.3-26 is installed on RH3

It is a bit more work than just having it installed:

'man dd' will tell you this:
       --o_direct
              Use  O_DIRECT file access. Mainly for use with FSâs That
support O_DIRECT access.  There  are  three  forms  --o_direct  (selects
              default block size) --o_direct=<r/w block size> (use given
block size for read and write operations)
              --o_direct=<read>,<write> (use specific block size  reads
and writes)
              For the purposes of handling data between FSâs that  do
and  do not  handle O_DIRECT access, the special value, 0, dictates that
              access will be via NON O_DIRECT means. This is  mainly
for  use with stdin/stdout. eg, dd --o_direct=8192,0 if=/ocfs/file |
gzip > /tmp/backup.gz

So, the command you would probably want to try would look like this:
'dd --o_direct of=/dev/zero if=./sill.t bs=1M count=1000'
But don't get too excited, I would still not expect it too be as fast as
ocfs2.

hth
Steffen