[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 and LVM2

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Mon Feb 26 12:14:42 PST 2007

If file system is designed in accordance with Linux rules, then it is not FS
concern which devices are used - disk, partition, lvm volume, evms volume,
raid device (RAID is another story in case of cluster, of course) and so on.
If file system depends of this, it is broken file system (first of all).

Of course, bugs are always possible. But these will be a bugs, not a natural
limitations.

(For example, one bug prevented Async IO on disk without partitions in SLES9
SP1-SP2; another existed for Async IO on LVM - but both was BUGS).

So, you don't need to be a hacker to try (OCFS on LVM or OCFS on EVMS). Of
course, it is Linux - everything which is out of the main road MUST BE
TESTED (because Linux vendors never test their products enough for
production - no one including Oracle or Redhat do it well enough) and better
to vbe avoided - just because of high probability for the bugs.

As I know, OCFSv2 do work on LVM - few people reported it. But of course,
I'd better avoid it - OCFSv2 itsels is not production-grade yet, and adding
one more complexity here is not a good thing.

(Btw, some Oracle engineers are saying that they are going to drop OCFSv2
certification.)

If someone decide to experiment - here is a list _TO TEST_:
- test startup/shutdown on primary node
- the same on other nodes
- test node reboot and failure
- make a policy _how to change volumes_ and test it
- test a heavy load, async io, and temporary disk errors (such as FCP
switchover for example).