[Ocfs2-users] 1.2.4 symbols

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Mon Feb 12 13:57:53 PST 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 04:41:13PM -0500, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
> > 	Why does SLES have them already in kernel/fs/ocfs2?  Because
> > they are not building them externally.  They patch the kernel sources
> > directly, and the kbuild infrastructure then treats them as "regular"
> > modules, not "external" modules.
>
> Very nice explanation which explains everything, thanks. Since this be
> the case and assuming you want users to compile from scratch, would an
> install howto be in order? I would write a simple howto.

	We don't want users to compile from scratch.  We want you to use
the modules that either we ship or the vendor (in this case, SuSE)
ships.  We don't support compiled modules, just our own.  Now, you may
not want Oracle support.  You may just want to try it out.  But you can
still use the modules provided instead of compiling your own.
	If you take it upon yourself to compile your own, that's
certainly something we're happy to let you do.  It is GPL software after
all.  Of course, why not use the mainline kernel then?  It's got the
latest OCFS2 code and will build your modules right inside the kernel
tree.
	You're running into a special case - SuSE provides the modules,
but you want to build them yourself anyway.  If you used a kernel that
didn't already have them (such as Red Hat's), installing them in extra/
would work, it wouldn't conflict with any existing modules.

Joel

--

"Here's a nickle -- get yourself a better X server."
	- Keith Packard

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle